Kathryn T. Joseph & Associates, Inc.

When trusts are better for adult children

When creating an estate plan, an Ohio parent may want to consider placing assets in a trust for their adult children. While it's not uncommon for parents to do this when their kids are minors, it's also a smart idea for adult children who may not manage assets responsibly. Many adults simply lack the necessary knowledge to manage large assets.

While a person might be able to hire a financial adviser to assist in managing an inheritance, being unfamiliar with or irresponsible about money management could also extend to being unable to hire a competent adviser. A trust can be set up to make annual distributions based on part of the trust's value or as a percentage of income.

Distributions could also be set up for when a person reaches a certain age. In many cases, a trustee is placed in charge of distributions. This could be useful for beneficiaries who have a substance abuse problem or gambling addiction. If necessary, a trustee could stop and start distributions based on the beneficiary's condition. Trusts also provide protection from creditors or from a beneficiary's spouse in case of divorce.

In addition to talking to an attorney about the uses of a trust, an estate holder might also want to consider what documents will be needed if incapacitation ever becomes an issue. A financial power of attorney can appoint someone to manage assets if the estate holder is unable to do so. A person may want to discuss with an attorney whether a trustee would be able to manage the assets in a trust in this situation or if additional paperwork is needed.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Info

Kathryn T. Joseph & Associates, Inc.
Executive Commons West
29425 Chagrin Blvd.
Suite 305
Cleveland, OH 44122

Toll Free: 888-335-6650
Phone: 216-245-0504
Cleveland Law Office Map