Serving the Cleveland Area since 1994

Serving the Cleveland Area since 1994

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » My father has a heart problem and I’m overwhelmed
FindLaw Network

My father has a heart problem and I’m overwhelmed

On Behalf of | Mar 9, 2017 | Firm News, Long Term Care Planning |

We spend our entire lives looking up to our parents for their guidance, wisdom and even financial support. When you have a parent in decline, it can be devastating, and you may feel overwhelmed by the responsibilities and difficult decisions you have to make.

Let’s say your father is in decline due to a serious heart condition. He can’t take care of himself anymore, and you don’t know if you should help him find a nursing home or if an in-home medical assistant is a better solution. You father might be going in and out of the hospital as well, and you have to take time off work while juggling the responsibilities of being a busy single mother of three children.

How do you navigate all this? Is there a way you can get some help?

Help is available with a care manager

Care managers assist older adults and those supporting them to achieve specific goals. A care manager will perform a detailed assessment on your case, create a care plan and recommend what needs to be done for your situation. They will act as a liaison for you with medical providers and insurance providers. They will also coordinate services and stay on top of service providers to ensure that your parent receives the highest standard of care available.

Most importantly, because care providers do this as a full-time job, they are highly familiar with different resources available to families with a loved one in decline. They know about different federal and Ohio state programs that could benefit your family. They can also pair families with community support programs like homemaker services, adult care services and other services that can provide you and your family some much-needed rest and relief.

Getting help from an estate planning lawyer familiar with care management

An estate planning lawyer can help you establish guardianship over an elder loved one’s affairs when he or she is no longer able to make decisions for him or herself. However, as far as the day-to-day process of caring for your loved one as his or her guardian goes, you may want to seek assistance from a lawyer familiar with care management. Such an attorney will serve as an indispensable asset to help you navigate this difficult time.

FindLaw Network